Thursday's Top Match-Ups - Opening Week of Prep Football Season '09
1. Birmingham Detroit Country Day v. Birmingham Seaholm - Don't underestimate the Maples - with a major chip on their shoulders after '08's 1-8 debacle - and their raucous home field advantage. Watch for a big game from Seaholm's Shawn Conway, a wiry and wicked speedy wide out that tore up a scrimmage against Divine Child last week, against the Yellowjackets secondary. In the end, DCD's experience and edge at the QB spot proves the difference.
DCD 24 Seaholm 20
2. West Bloomfield v. Birmingham Groves - It could be a shoot out in the making when D-I recruit and Hawks QB Chad Davis meets up with the Lakers lethal receiving corps led by Cameron Fields and Aaron White. However, I dare to say when its all over, WB's 'D' comes up big, especially, "The Wolfpack", the nickname for the Lakers sticky secondary unit. Senior safety Aaron Foster picks Davis late, letting the WB prevail and spoil Groves' home opener.
THA WB 28 Groves 21
3. Farmington v.Southfield - Revenge is on the Falcons minds as they head back to Blue Jays Stadium in Southfield, the location of the team's ouster in the first round of last year's playoffs. Matt Craven and Dae'Von Scarber connect for a pair of TD's through the air, but Southfield's tenacious ground attack, anchored by the bruising duo of Maurice Davenport and Daevon Robinson, is too much for the Farmington 'D' to handle. Look for transfer Kevin Harmon to collect a sack or two at least - Harmon had 23 last season playing at Detroit Henry Ford - in his debut for head coach Tim Conley's Blue Jays and lead the Southfield effort in the pass rush department.
Southfield 20 Farmington 17
4. Clawson v. St. Clair Shores Lake Shore - Rob Feeman throws for 300 in his first game as a senior and Howard Crippen breaks off a 125 yd rushing performance with a Td both through the air and on the ground.
Clawson 42 Lake Shore 28
5. Orchard Lake St. Mary's v. East Grand Rapids - The Eaglets score some good 'ole fashioned 'get back' as they go on the road and find redemption for last season's opening game wallop. Robert Bolden opens the campaign in style, throwing for 250 and a couple of scores, showing why he's one of the best in the state chucking the pigskin.
OLSM 31 E.Grand Rapids 23
6. Southfield-Lathrup v. Royal Oak - The Chargers offensive arsenal of WR Montrell Robinson, QB Brandon Petty and RB Justin Davis go wild on the Ravens.
S. Lathrup 24 Royal Oak 14